Thursday, July 10, 2014

Donkey Raffle

One day a politician saw a farmer selling a donkey for $100. The politician paid the farmer the money and asked if the farmer would deliver it to his house. The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day but when he arrived at the politician's house there was no donkey.

He told the politician that the donkey died during the night. Saddened, the politician asked for his money back. "I'm afraid I have already spent the money." the farmer said.

"Well, then just give me the donkey." said the politician.

What are you going to do with a dead donkey?" asked the farmer. The politician told the farmer he would think of something, so the farmer delivered the donkey the next day.

The next month the farmer saw the politician again and asked him what he had done with the donkey. "I made $895.00 off of that thing." the politician said.

"How could you make that much money off of a dead donkey?" the farmer wanted to know.

The politician said, "I didn't tell anyone he was dead at first. I just put up signs around town that said I was going to raffle off a beautiful donkey for $5.00 a ticket. I sold 200 tickets."

"Wait a minute", said the farmer, "you said you made $895.00 but if you sold 200 tickets at $5.00 each that's $1,000.00. After you subtract the $100.00 you paid me you should have made $900.00,"

"You're right", said the politician, "But when the winner found out the donkey was dead he was a little upset so I gave him his money back."


No comments:

Post a Comment